Do some good for the world; make M$ irrelevant

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 8 04:49:40 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> wrote:
	I think you're being a bit hysterical here.  The good news is that the
	US has a fairly good track record of correcting legislative mistakes.

Prohibition took quite a few years, did it not?

	Matter of fact, laws are almost irrelevant in
	determining what goods and services are available to you.

They do have a strong effect on what price you'll pay, though.

I was rather amused to see in an electronic repair shop today
a poster advertising their DVD rezoning service, so that you could
"play overseas DVDs"...

Since hearing about DRM last week I've thought of two ways of hacking
around it, and my hacking aptitude is well approximated by the greatest
whole number less than one.

Since I'm not living in the US, it doesn't matter _directly_ to me whether/
how quickly the US corrects legislative mistakes, but how long _we_ and
our other trading partners take, if once the US "influences" us/them to
adopt such laws.