[BUG] reloading projects results in mangled images (and crash es)

Baveco, Hans J.M.Baveco at Alterra.wag-ur.nl
Tue Jul 9 08:05:07 UTC 2002

To check loading of projects with images, I used the squeak3.2gamma5.image
- Checked Form.readNativeResourceFrom: and it was there with the right stamp
- Deleted the resource.map file in the squeaklets dir
- opened a new project with a bookmorph
- opened the filelist and loaded some gifs in the ImageImports
- => COULD NOT LOAD/OPEN any JPG's
- therefore took only gifs and bmps
- saved project, quit image, restart image
- opened project, -> almost all images had distorted colors
- checked the projectfile with winzip -> all images were OK

so the problem appears still there...

- then I thought, maybe I need a new version of the plugin to read/write
jpgs,
- found a newer JPEGReadWriter2Plugin.dll (10 april 2002) and put it in the
squeak dir
- restarted
- opened new project, bookmorph, etc
- from filelist loaded JPGs OK
- saved project, some errors were reported but I could go on
- quit image, restarted, loaded project and Bhwamm... VM crashed
- restarted, created new project etc
- tried to save project, errors -> I decided to "look better"
- project in an unrecoverable state, tried to go to Previous, Bhwamm.... VM
crashed
I am clearly making a mess of it now, maybe the first thing I need to know
is whether one needs this plugin anymore or not..

Hans

Hans, <<SqueakDebug.log>>

If you're using any 3.2gamma image whose update level is 4904 or
higher, then certainly Bob's resourceColorFix code *is* be in your
image.

(To be absolutely certain, check the time stamp of method
Form.readNativeResourceFrom: -- it should be RAA 6/23/2002.)

So if you're still experiencing the same issues, evidently they are
not things that were addressed by Bob's fix.

Does anyone else have experience to share on this matter?

Cheers,

   -- Scott