Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Wed Jul 10 12:32:35 UTC 2002

> From: Jim Benson [mailto:jb at speed.net]
>
> <lots of good stuff on native windows implementation snipped>
>
> However, another sticky point comes up soon after. That is,
> you've provided native windows, the use expects to be able
>
> A) have standard OS menus
> B) have standard OS keystrokes work

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Ralph Waldo
Emerson

In my mind it does not necessarily follow that native windows imply or
require native widgets, menus, etc.  I'd be happy if I could create multiple
OS-native windows and play with Morphic inside of them.
Appearance-and-usability-wise it's really no different than the web, where
*every* web page has its own style of interface.  Of course, I'm quite happy
with Squeak as it is, and in some respects I think that the recurring
discussions about native windows-n-widgets are just a distraction.  Squeak
is a research project, not a Windows-or-Mac-or-X-native application
generator.  This is a place for trying out new stuff, not rehashing the old
stuff.  I don't think that Microsoft, Apple, the X Consortium, or anyone
else (including Squeak) has yet produced the "perfect interface".  Just my
ramblings FWIW.

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company