Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak

se99011 at fhs-hagenberg.ac.at se99011 at fhs-hagenberg.ac.at
Wed Jul 10 13:28:02 UTC 2002

Zitiere John Voiklis <voiklis at redfigure.org>:

> I happen to like the Squeak user interface (the lack of halo buttons,
> when I
> work outside of Squeak, drives me insane); in fact, as the friend of
> several
> visual artists, I find that much of the Morphic-centered interface bears
> the
> mark of a graphic designer. All you have to do is look at any
> design-oriented Web interface to realize that graphic designers think
> that
> the Windows-like UI is ugly, inefficient, and counterintuitive.

Agreed. I especially like the different colours for different morphs: the green browser, the orange transcript and so on. All my colleagues who saw Squeak for the first time asked me about this, and I could only answer: "Well, it's great, I know most things simply by their colour."

Some peculiarities are just great, such as pop-up scrollbars (_very_ screen size estate efficient), although I remember having seen a 3.2 gamma where the browser had "normal" ones.

> I'm not saying the interface is perfect [...]

I just wonder why there are no morphic "buttons" that act like buttons. Is it to cycle-consuming to make them looked depressed when clicked on?