Mailing-list Archive + Newsgroups Backend

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Jul 11 11:59:52 UTC 2002

(for those who missed the thread)

Hello,

There is a solution to combine the advantage of mailing-list and
newsgroups : http://gmane.org/

We could acceed to squeak-dev by
news://news.gmane.org/gname.lang.squeak, this could be a newsgroup
backend to the mailing-list. Moreover, Gname was designed by Lars
Magne Ingebrigtsen under GPL, the guy who designed the wonderful
Emacs/gnus (!).

Here is a significant excerpt.

"GNU Mail To News And Back Again :

Much interesting discussion today takes place on mailing lists. This
is inconvenient. If you become interested in a subject, you want to
know what's being discussed, and you want to familiarize yourself with
the culture of the list. This means that you need to get an overview
of previous discussions.

Several mailing lists archives exist, but these are all hidden under a
web interface. Reading mail that way is not convenient. Reading mail
as if it were news is convenient.

This is what Gmane offers. Mailing lists are funnelled into news
groups. This isn't a new idea; several mail-to-news gateways
exist. What's new with Gmane is that no messages are ever expired from
the server, and the gateway is bi-directional. You can post to these
mailing lists without being subscribed to them yourself.

*Not all mailing lists allow non-subscribers to post, and some are
moderated. Gmane requires that users post to Gmane groups using a
valid e-mail address, and requires a one-time authorization per group.*

To read the mailing lists stored in Gmane, point your newsreader to news.gmane.org. "

What do you think about ?

Regards

Samir

--