[BUG]Display depth 8 bit (little endian) has problems on Windows

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sat Jul 13 17:13:21 UTC 2002

I just downloaded Squeak3.2gamma5 and the 3.2.2 VM for Windows and played
around with it. I tried different display depth and had some redraw problems
in the 8 bit little endian one. See the attached gif-file. Note the Squeak
mouse and the balloon help. The other display depths work fine so it is not
a big problem for me. Still I wanted to let you know about this.

If I remember correctly it is best to set the display depth to the native
format. However, I wonder how I can figure out whether my system uses a big
or little endian format? I search the swiki and the mailing list archive but
I could not find the answer. I would be thankful if anybody could explain
that to me.

Is there a way for Squeak to find out what the native format is so that it
could suggest the optimal setting to the user?

- Bernhard