miracle modules (was: Improving the aesthetics and usability of Squeak)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 14 18:31:42 UTC 2002

Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> I think they could solve some of the problems you mention below.

[...]
> Well, this is the case for "top level" modules. The problem is when you
> are trying to load something that requires lots of other stuff to work.
> In that case we want something more like "apt-get" than "findRPM". Some
> module name to URL directory would be great. We don't care what all
> that stuff does, who wrote it and so on.

I agree.  To put it succinctly, the best part of modules is the
repository.  Further, I'd add that the next big step to work on is a
per-module bug tracking system.  I've argued that we don't need this in
the past, but working with Debian a while has changed my mind
completely.

(Now, modules themselves are peachy as well!  For example, it is nice
that analysis tools can ignore the development tools.  You can't do that
until you've identified what, precisely, the development tools consist
of.)

-Lex