[Linux] An easy way to make rpms

John Hinsley johnhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 17:22:16 UTC 2002

I've yet to try this (too busy putting the final touches to my RedHat 7.3) but
CheckInstall looks as though it could provide a simple way of making Squeak
rpms (or debs, or whatever Slack uses). From the release notes:

"After you ./configure; make your program, CheckInstall will run make install
(or whatever you tell it to run) and keep track of every file modified by
this installation, using the excelent installwatch utility written by
Pancrazio 'Ezio' de Mauro (p at demauro.net).

When make install is done, CheckInstall will create a Slackware, RPM or Debian
compatible package and install it with Slackware's installpkg, "rpm -i" or
Debian's "dpkg -i" as appropriate, so you can view it's contents with pkgtool
("rpm -ql" for RPM users or "dpkg -l" for Debian) or remove it with removepkg
("rpm -e"|"dpkg -r"). Aditionally, this script will leave you a copy of the
installed package in the source directory so you can install it wherever you
want, which is my second motivation: I don't have to compile the same
software again and again every time I need to install it on another box :-)."

CheckInstall is at:

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Cheers

John