Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Jul 16 00:12:28 UTC 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> At least Morphic seems to be, anyway; and since that's what I'm most
> interested in, that's my concern.

That seems to be a problem for most PDAs.  Morphic is pretty slow even
with my 206 MHz iPAQ.  I'm hoping to be able to afford (it all depends on
whether or not I sell both my Newton and my iPAQ, and for how much they
sell) a 780, which is 168 rather than 131 MHz.

> Maybe it's because I'm running from a CF card, though that shouldn't
> make a difference once the image starts up.

Unless it is using virtual ram via a memory mapped file, which the WinCE
VM does on the iPAQ.  A bit of a trade off, I suppose- I will have 50 MB
RAM free for Squeak, but it's basically Swap on the CF card.

> How have you gotten around the window sizing problems with the touch
> screen? They've annoyed me enough (even in MVC) that I don't use
> Squeak on the WinCE machine, even though I'd like to.

No, I never really fixed, per se, the resizing problems on >= 3.0 images.
In Dynapad R0.01, you just plain couldn't resize windows or frames.  In
Dynapad R0.1 you can resize with no problems, but that is by virtue of
the 2.8 image on which Dynapad is now based.

Try an older image, if that is practical for the time being.  I suspect,
but dont' recall, that the resizing issue starts somewhere in the 2.9
images.

> Do you have an image somewhere you'd like to try? I could download it
> and try it with some version of the Squeak VM...

If you wouldn't mind, trying out the Dynapad image, and running a '0
tinyBenchmarks' would be awesome.  The Dynapad image can be found on
http://dynapad.swiki.net/8

Thanks Ned!

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws"  :: m. l. king jr.