Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 16 00:28:31 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
>
> > At least Morphic seems to be, anyway; and since that's what I'm most
> > interested in, that's my concern.
>
> That seems to be a problem for most PDAs.  Morphic is pretty slow even
> with my 206 MHz iPAQ.

Part of it is the occasional descent into floating point on a machine
with no FP hardware and part of it is that old problem of lack of memory
bandwidth. Remember that a StrongARM 1110 (iPaq etc) has a whopping 4kb
of cache. Note that is has 32bit wide memory bus. Compare this with
what, 1Mb and 128 bit wide on desktop machines? Then again, compare 03W
power consumption with 35-60W. Ya pays ya money and takes yez choice.
Upcoming XScale devices will improve things a bit and possible ARM11
devices would be even more fun.

tim
Useful random insult:- Cheats when filling out opinion polls.