Outdoor computing [was: Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?]

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue Jul 16 16:51:47 UTC 2002

While we're on the subject of favorite small computers for various needs, I thought I would ply this list in quest of a decent machine for writing a book (need keyboard) while spending a fair amount of time outdoors.

The best screens for this seem to be reflective or transflective units.  I've googled a bit and found only four products that are so equipped:

	NEC versa Daylight -- product withdrawn
	Compaq iPaq -- screen too small, no keyboard
	Panasonic ToughBook -- too expensive (>$4000)
	Fujitsu 3500 -- no keyboard

Of these the Fujitsu is certainly a candidate.  It's a nice 800x600 screen, and it's a pen computer, so it could be fun for doing Squeak UI experiments.  Plus you can get a separate keyboard for it and, though not cheap ($2800) it's not out of the question.

I had an early HP OmniBook with a B&W reflective display, which was almost perfect for my current need.  If I hadn't sold it at a garage sale, I think I would use it now.  Maybe I should just look for one on EBAY.

Anyone have other favorites for outdoor computing?

	- Dan
Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com>  wrote...