Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?

Aaron reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Jul 16 17:13:48 UTC 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> You'll have to find a version of GCC that can actually do its job
> properly. For quite some time now it has been impossible to use any
> optimisation on ARM gcc, roughly speaking halving performance or worse.
> To give you some idea, on my Acorn (206MHz SA, very slow memory, five
> year old compiler) I get 13M & 1+M. An iPaq ought to be a little quicker
> since it has a modern memory system ( the Acorn's is eight years
> old...) and a newer compiler.

Then what is the deal with the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500/5000D- which uses a
206 MHz SA?  Is it running at half of the speed at which it should?  I
asked around some on #handhelds.org, and I was told by more than one
developer that they compile with optimizations, and with no problems.

I don't fully understand the problem, but I'm confused why the Zaurus
people apparently have no problems.

Aaron