ARM GCC bug [Was: Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?]

Tommy Thorn tt1729 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 21:00:43 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Clearly you are able to use the optimiser, which is very interesting.
> Since the problem I recall is effectively an interaction between the
> compiler screwing up and the float emulator/library, perhaps the Zaurus
> system has the problem fixed in the float code.
>
> Essentially what was happening was that the function prologues involved
> (for functions using any float operations) tried to execute and
> instruction that wanted to save a float register. Working systems (the
> older NetWinder system for example) had flat code that could cope with
> this, problem ones didn't. We first noticed the problem when NW moved
> from a hacked Acorn floating point emulator module to a 'newer better'
> one.

Interesting.  Notice that you can log on to skiffcluster1.handhelds.org
and experiment there (it's essentially an iPaq running Linux).  I first
built Squeak there (for ease of autoconfigure et al) and subsequently
moved everything home to my cross compilation environment.

I'd assume that gcc generates the same prologue code for any StrongArm
target, so any difference must be contributed to the native kernel.  At
least this is how it seems to me.  I'd still like to hear gcc 3.1
experiences.

/Tommy