Outdoor computing [was: Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?]

Eric Dorman dormane at spawar.navy.mil
Tue Jul 16 21:09:30 UTC 2002

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 July 2002 09:51 am, Dan Ingalls wrote:
> >        Fujitsu 3500 -- no keyboard
> >

> > Of these the Fujitsu is certainly a candidate.  It's a nice 800x600
> > screen, and it's a pen computer, so it could be fun for doing
> > Squeak UI experiments.  Plus you can get a separate keyboard for it
> > and, though not cheap ($2800) it's not out of the question.
>
> Looks like you're thinking about the LT-P 600, not the 3500. The 3500
> has a 1024x768 screen.
>
> Since the device has a USB port, you should be able to plug in a USB
> keyboard (perhaps a wireless one) without using a docking station.
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> http://bike-nomad.com
> GPG key ID: BEEA7EFE

The Stylistic 3500 has several variants: the 3500X is 1024x768 while
the 3500S and 3500R are 800x600.  When I was looking at them awhile
ago the lower-res devices were brighter, though I don't know what the
difference was 'nit'-brightness wise since Fujitsu doesn't seem to put
this
measure on their site anywhere.

I always felt they were a bit thick (1.1") for their weight of 3.2lbs
and price.  I found it hard to hold, but I have relatively small/weak
hands.  YMMV.  Felt solid though;  Fujitsu builds tough.

I've found the FIC Aquapad (http://www.aquapad.org) useful but haven't
used it outdoors.  I've found both Linux VisualWorks and Squeak-3.1
w/Genie
all work well.

Major annoyances have been lack of VGA out, only adequate battery life
and the easiest place to hold the device for right-handers, around the
battery bulge, is weakened by using a plastic battery cover; i'm always
slightly worried about breaking it.  Should be just software to rotate
the screen but haven't mucked with X11 to figure that out.

Eric Dorman
SPAWARSYSCEN-SD