[Squeak] Need for GUI-Building-Tool

yampa at mindspring.com yampa at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 17 04:06:14 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:39:43 -0400 (EDT) Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu>
wrote:

This is great! Yay!

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 yampa at mindspring.com wrote:

>>Can I put a plug in for scrolling text areas? >>(PluggableTextMorphs?) They
>>are really really handy and, for some reason, >>often left out of BobsUI :)

You can ask, but I'll admit I probably won't put it in this release.  I'd also
like to have multiple column lists, hierarchical lists, lists with icons, and
notebooks.  But here's the story. I have been working on this part time since
May, 2001.  It started out as just writing a couple of widgets and adding them
to the existing BobsUI framework.  But instead of releasing it, I kept
thinking of one more thing to do, and it kept getting bigger.  Then as I got
more confident, I started adding more fundamental things, like the drag and
drop part and XML, that required a lot of work. And those things take a lot of
time because you have to make sure it works with each widget.  Even though I
like what it is becoming, I started to doubt that I would have the will to
keep working on it until it was finished.

So, I decided to not add any more widgets to what I already had working, and
just fill in the framework until it was stable.  Then I will write detailed
documentation so that anyone can understand how to add widgets.  Once you read
the documentation, and see the widgets that already work, it shouldn't be
difficult for someone else to add more widgets, so I'm hoping that others
would like to contribute.  It is a lot harder to collaborate on the
fundamental framework, so I feel I should be spending my time on that part.

>As from (X)HTML (as I've already suggested) may I >suggest three things to
>look at: XForms, XUL (the Mozilla thing), and the >StableSqueak XML spec
>format. Or rather, anyone of these things :)

 The XML part is based on the YAXO parser and a little bit from the
StableSqueak XML Spec. I used the StableSqueak Spec classes as a starting
point,
but went in a different direction when I thought I needed to.

>Very much looking forward to it.

Thanks

Doug