ARM Squeak [Was: Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?]

Tommy Thorn tt1729 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 17:41:34 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> To give you some idea, on my Acorn (206MHz SA, very slow memory, five
> year old compiler) I get 13M & 1+M. An iPaq ought to be a little quicker
> since it has a modern memory system ( the Acorn's is eight years
> old...) and a newer compiler.

I'm still baffled at the disparency.  While the first number is in line
with what I see, you get twice the message sends.  I'd appreciate if you
could provide me with a little more detail on which image, which VM,
compilation options, and any tweaks applied.

I looked at the how my interpret function is compiled and it looks
reasonable although there's plenty room for improvement (it's the
non-gnuified version, so localSP didn't get allocated to a register,
there are too many branches, and a useless <= 255 check for the
switch).

Meanwhile I'll try to force gnuification of my VM.

/Tommy