ARM Squeak [Was: Squeak on WinCE HPC MIPS?]

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 17 18:01:21 UTC 2002

Tommy Thorn <tt1729 at yahoo.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I'm still baffled at the disparency.  While the first number is in line
> with what I see, you get twice the message sends.
Ah, I just checked in a nearly-latest image and I actually get half a
million sends/sec; I lied.
> I'd appreciate if you
> could provide me with a little more detail on which image, which VM,
> compilation options, and any tweaks applied.
It's the Acorn VM - compiled with the Acorn compiler. Nothing whatsoever
to do with linux, unix, Mac, windoze, DOS, amiga, atari or any of those
other systems that will be swept away by the might of the British
Computer Industry. The compiler is actually from 'CodeMist', bascially a
pair of Cambrige University profs; it runs (or at least used to, no idea
if they're even in business anymore) on just about anything including
360 mainframes. Although it's at least five years old it produces really
quite good code and is viciously protective of the ISO standard (as of
the time it was written). You write code that breaks the standard and it
will reach out throught the screen and tweak your ear like the teacher
of your nightmares.

I have never bothered to do any machine related tweaks. Much more fun to
try to create generally useful improvements.

tim
Foolproof operation:  All parameters are hard coded.