[BUG] disableProgrammerFacilities doesn't work fully (was: Re: Now I'm really confused :-()

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 17 20:34:15 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 10:36 am, david at aminal.com wrote:
> > When I've got things the way I want, I'll dismiss the
> > workspace and any other tools I've got open, then
> > 'lock down' the whole thing using the technique at
> >

> > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/778
> >

> > that refers to the disableProgrammerFacilities preference.
>
> This doesn't work :-(
>

> Well, it *appears to work, but menus and halos and whatnot
> don't go away.
>

> Stale code, maybe?
>
> Would this be considered a bug?

I would.

A couple of things don't work:

* it misses some settings (cmd key disablings, etc.) because it
doesn't do:

	Preferences enable: #eToyFriendly

This should be added to disableProgrammerFacilities, IMO.

* you are expected to provide your own custom yellow-button menus for
text editors (which come from the model in most cases). One could
argue that that is generally what's wanted anyway, since the default
menus aren't really appropriate for any apps except for a Smalltalk
development environment.

To disable blue-button halos:
* you can choose "custom halos" in preferences and define the halo
specs to be empty ( #() ). This will result in a halo with no buttons
(though the name will still be displayed for editing). If you need to
edit names, this may be the easiest thing to do.

Otherwise, you have to get rid of blue button halos altogether.

One possible solution (now that my key & mouse button remapping code
is in the image) is to remap blue-button (and yellow-button if you
want) to be red-button events.

And map cmd-key (alt-key) as well as most ctrl-key combos to be normal
keys.

Otherwise, you'd have to hack the blue button code in Morph that
brings halos up.

I'd probably be inclined to add a preference for each of:

* halosFromBlueButtonClick
* menusFromYellowButtonClick

and have disableProgrammerFacilities disable both of these.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com