help!!! image may be trashed

Rob Whitfield rob at customfun.com
Wed Jul 17 21:34:01 UTC 2002

I accidentally did a save-and-exit from the world menu while a debug window
was active.  When I reentered squeak with the saved image the debug window
came up as expected.  But I can't exit the window.  If  I try squeak hangs
(not in a loop - just no response from squeak).  If I resize the debug
window squeak hangs.   If I "proceed" in the debug window I hang after an
error message appears.  I can minimize the debug window without causing
problems.

I can fileout my changes and start my image from scratch but when I fileout
all my variable names get renamed into simple t1, t2, t3 names.  I sure
don't want to try and support my code after being mangled like this.

I also tried the world->changes but I keep getting errors so I don't think
I can back out the recent activity.

I can open individual methods to recover source but this would take many
hours to do since I have so much code.  Is there a way to fileout that
preserves variable names?

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running on windows at the moment.  I
may try and open the image with OSX and see if I can recover from a
different VM environment.