help!!! image may be trashed

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 17 22:56:28 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 03:19 pm, Rob Whitfield wrote:
> >Why are your variable names getting renamed?
>
> I have no idea.
>
> >If you can look at the .changes file with a different editor, see
> > if what you typed is there. If it is, you can copy it off to a
> > separate changes file and file it in (or browse changes, etc.).
> >

> >If you've lost the .changes file, you're hosed with respect to
> > your variable names anyway. (i.e. if you browse your methods, do
> > you see your variable names or not?).
>
> I don't have a .changes file.

Were you running without one?

Ordinarily Squeak will warn if you have an XXX.image without a
corresponding XXX.changes file, though there's a preference to
suppress this warning.

There is a facility to remember variable names in the image itself
even without a changes file, but I believe you have to do something
special to get them remembered.

So if you lost your XXX.changes file (or if it wasn't readable for
some reason) this could happen.

Unfortunately, this is also where all the method changes you accepted
end up.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com