squeak3.2 crashes when loading project from disk

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 18 17:11:28 UTC 2002

"Baveco,  Hans" <J.M.Baveco at Alterra.wag-ur.nl> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Sorry, false alarm, there was an old JPEGReadWriter2Plugin.dll in the
> directory I started Squeak from.
> Shouldn't there be some protection against obsolete plugins being loaded
> instead of build-in plugins? This one in particular had a very nasty impact!
external plugins load and override internal ones so that they can be
updated without having to replace the entire vm.

When loading the external plugins the VM-Proxy-major/minor numbers are
checked for validity, so perhaps these numbers should be incremented
more assiduously to help prevent some of these problems. Perhaps the
checks could be expanded to check the date information so that external
plugins older than the internal one could be rejected? I'm sure there
are situations where this might be the wrong thing to do though.

Just about any automatic system is going to have problem cases and
requiring user intervention will ussually jut confuse most people.

tim

Useful random insult:- "Body by Fisher -- brains by Mattel."