Animorphic ST (Strongtalk) released!

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 19 16:30:24 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at advantive.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> David Griswold wrote:
[snip]
> > But one way to get around all of this might be to keep the
> > compiled code in ObjectMemory and save it with the image, in
> > which case you could start the system in an already optimized
> > state (complicates image portability, but worth it).
[snip]
It doesn't complicate much - we already have to check for endianess and
compensate for example. We have session ID stuff for file & socket
handles so they can be nulled as appropriate. Squeak has some extra
possibilities as well why not save any precompiled stuff in an
ImageSegment? That way one can check for relevence and only load it if
it would be useful/usable.
Just think, when Palladium is mandated you would be able to check the
certificate to see if you have permission to run as well.

> Would it also be possible to simply tell the system to compile
> everything?  Thus, eliminating the need to do 'training' runs and
> achieve maximum performance?
Depends on how much memory you have available; and you'd need to either
do a training run to do the full compile & save or wait during startup
for the whole thing to finish.

tim

Useful random insult:- Cheats when filling out opinion polls.