WinCE on HPC/Pro: not using all the display?

reic0024 at d.umn.edu reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Jul 19 19:45:21 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> Has anyone figured out how to make Morphic faster on very slow
> machines like these?

Ha, don't we all wish.  It's a shame 131 MHz counts as "very slow."  Not
say it's some 4 GHz G5, but it should be able to run a simple Morphic
image without problem or complaint.  Perhaps we (the Squeakers at large)
need to put together a little commitee to create a new widget set,
something
like TinyMorphic, but with widgets.  Bob Arning had code that (from what
I'm told) is a definate start in that direction, but he doesn't want to
release it because he thinks people would get confused.  I told him it
could
just be something we goofballs worked on and not in the mainstream
image,
but he wouldn't have it.

Or, we could have a comission to refactor the Morphic system, to the
benefit
of slower machines and everyone pretty much.  Much more valuable, but
it's probably 10x more work to clean up Morphic than it would be to just
create a new, lean widget set that had comparable widgets to PocketPC or
PalmOS.

> I've just compared a 2.7 image, a 3.0 image, and the 3.2 image on the
> same VM.
>
> There's a very noticeable change in responsiveness in later versions:
> the time it takes to bring up a menu, for instance, is at least a
> second longer in 3.2 than in 3.0.
>
> And 3.0 is slower than 2.7.

I too have found the difference quite dramatic on my iPAQ, which is
signifigantly faster than your MP770.  Which is why I switched Dynapad
to 2.8 from 3.0- so much feel faster in 2.8- menus, window switches, and
especially CharRecog.

> Something that seems to be fixed in 3.2 is the MVC window resizing on
> touch screens; it used to get confused because there were no
> mouse-over events. It seems to work correctly now.

Weird, I never had that problem in MVC, in any version I've tried
between 2.6
and 3.0.  Has that problem been fixed in Morphic 3.2 too?!

Regards,
Aaron