Is TestInterpreterPlugin a good name?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jul 22 14:35:33 UTC 2002

Are TestInterpreterPlugin (and its sister class TestCodeGenerator)
aptly named?

I don't know about you, but I get a bit nervous depending on a class
that's named "Test*" (or, for that matter "AlignmentMorphBob1").

Especially since the TestInterpreterPlugin has nothing to do with
testing, and we now have a number of classes with "Test" in their
name that actually do testing.

I'd argue that it's by now a mature class. Or had better be; if its
interface changed substantially, it would break a lot of plugins:

    InterpreterPlugin
      TestInterpreterPlugin
        AsynchFilePlugin
        BlockingSerialPlugin
        FileCopyPlugin
        FlippyArrayPlugin2
        FooPlugin2
        GeniePlugin
        InternetConfigPlugin
        JPEGReadWriter2Plugin
        JoystickTabletPlugin
        LargeIntegersPlugin
        MIDIPlugin
        Mpeg3Plugin
        PseudoTTYPlugin
        SerialPlugin
        SocketPlugin
        SoundPlugin
        SpreadPlugin
        TIPTestPlugin
        TestOSAPlugin
        UUIDPlugin

I'd be willing to make the change and post a CS if we could come up
with a better name for these classes.

For those of you who haven't used this class, TestInterpreterPlugin is
a class that Andrew Greenberg wrote that makes writing plugins quite
a bit easier. It handles many of the details of dealing with the
Squeak stack in primitives by keeping track of the types of the
arguments. It also adds a number of convenience methods.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com