windows 3.2 package

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Wed Jul 24 18:25:25 UTC 2002

Bruce ONeel <beoneel at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> is now in ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.2/win
> The file is Squeak3.2-4917-win-full.zip.
> Could someone give it a try?

Thank you for doing that work, Bruce.
I tried the package and I found that the problem report
that I posted yesterday applies also to the image of your
package. That is, the execution of
"Smalltalk condenseSources"  fails.

Today I reexamined carefully what I did yesterday and here
is what I think is needed to patch the image:

The problem are three classes that have a duplicated
method category "-- all --".  As I explained yesterday, these
duplicated method categories seemingly cause problems and
should be removed.

You can do that in this way:

1. Class EToyProjectRenamerMorph:
Select the duplicated method category "-- all --" (the last line
in the category view). Move the instance method
#fieldForProjectName into another category and remove the
duplicated method category "-- all --".

2. Class VMMakerTool
same procedure as in (1) for instance method #checkOK

2. Class ZipArchiveMember
same procedure as in (1) for instance method #rewindData.

It is essential to move the three methods mentioned above into other
method categories, otherwise they would be deleted when the duplicated
method category is removed. (Yesterday I failed to notice that, but
the deletions were written into a changes set) For some reason
these three methods are associated with the offending categories.

Compression of the sources is certainly an infrequent action -
most Squeakers will never do it. Shall we patch the 3.2 image?
What is the opinion of our community?

Greetings
Boris