Squeak and SQlite Database

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Jul 25 13:20:29 UTC 2002

For me, the important thing for Squeak (as far as DBs are concerned) is
to have structured (Btree, Hash, etc) access to secondary storage.  It's
also good to have some options regarding where the physical storage
resides and where the DB processing occurs (i.e. local or a remote
machine and disk) as well as transactions, logging, rollback, etc.  SQL
access is far less important (IMHO).

So far, the only database that I've come across that meets these
fundamentals is BerkeleyDB...does anyone know of others that are similar
in nature to BerkeleyDB (I'd like to have some options for what I'm
working on).

In regard to a "platform independent common Squeak database," I think
that it should be qualified as a "platform independent common Squeak SQL
database API"...meaning that rather than try and pick a single SQL
database for all platforms and applications, you specify an API that is
sufficiently robust to handle a wide variety of SQL database
implementations.  Also, we should be precise and call it an "SQL"
database API to distinquish it from the many other types of databases
that exist and would need their own API.

- Stephen