Question about GC and debugger

Diego Coronel dcoronel at expweb.biz
Thu Jul 25 14:13:54 UTC 2002

Joern,
Thank you for your help, it is faster in that way. It will help me to solve
GC problems with large objects, I've tried similar solutions with tree
structures, but the one you sent me is already done.

> Diego,
>
> as has been pointed out, your problem is not that you have many
> objects. Try for example
>
> col := LinkedList new.
> Smalltalk garbageCollect.
> MessageTally spyOn: [1000000 timesRepeat: [col add: (Link new)]]
>
> instead. Same number of objects, much faster.
>
> It is that you are storing so many objects in *one* big object.
>
> Maybe if you could describe more precisely what it is you
> actually want to do, people could give you better advice on how
> to avoid this problem.
I'm trying to make an information CUBE with Squeak+Comanche, to show
information of a bank. And that task involves about 1.5 millon clients and
about 20 millon products. I always have the chance to go back to SQL-Server
but I'm fighting for doing it in Squeak.

> Cheers,
> Joern

Cheers,
Diego Coronel