grabbing value of a variabe by its name?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Jul 25 16:07:45 UTC 2002

>> Some languages (Perl, I think, and Logo I am sure) have a trivial
>> notation for this kind of thing. But that isn't always a good idea and
>> I am glad that Smalltalk makes such a dangerous thing possible yet
>> hidden where it is unlikely to be accidently abused.

Ragnar> perl, php and tcl, of the ones I know.

And it's evil magick.  The kind of which I will rip out if I'm ever
forced to maintain your code.  If I don't just get frustrated and
erase your code and start over when forced to maintain it.

Please.  Most of the business cost of code is *maintenance*, not
*development*.  If you do tricks like you've asked, you've just
shot yourself in your future foot.

Pick a different strategy.  Please.