[Q] Squeak TO MacsBug conexion

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jul 25 16:14:49 UTC 2002

>For a little experiment with a old Mac LC 575 I wish to know if
>someone do something with Squeak --> 68000 Assembler code.
>I have a technical note TN 1154: Debugging Java Code With MacsBug
>from Apple and wish do something with Squeak.
>Any ideas ?
>Edgar J. De Cleene

Well that is an interesting question. Now if you had Jasik's The
Debugger and all the source code you might find this useful.

However first I should point out that the last offical VM build as a
FAT application (68K and PPC) was 3.0.18. Yet this in the optimized
form is somewhat undebuggable because I have stripped out the
macsbugs symbol names, thus you can't reliably tell what routine you
are in from a stack trace. If you really really need this I can send
you a VM that has macsbugs symbols on.

I have built a 3.0.22 macintosh VM for 68k so it is feasible, but I
don't think we've shipped one, I'm not sure the source for 3.0.22
which has extra serial port support (16 versus 4) made it into
production circulation. Mind sourceforge has a modified copy in the
sqMacSerialPort.c source file.

So

Macbugs can tell you if your heap is corrupt (unlikely), or if you
are running out of free space on the VM C heap and need to adjust it,
so I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

If you want to build a VM and do source C code debugging you must
either get your hands on a copy of codewarrior, or try a version of
MPW. I can send you a copy of the source tree just to make things
easier.