Squeak and SQlite Database

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Jul 25 18:16:21 UTC 2002

I've added a status update on this at: http://spair.swiki.net/25

I also have some ideas about modifying the VM to provide better support
for persistency that I've put on that page (in the section called "More
Musings").  Basically, I need a way of dynamically adding a slot to the
header of any object, which requires a forwarding mechanism (which I
have implemented already) and of marking an object immutable.  This
would mean going to 2-word, 3-word, and 4-word object headers (the
3-word and 4-word headers have the extra slot, and the the 4-word header
has the extra size word).  This extra slot would hold a sort of state
manager that will have a persistent identity for the object (it can also
be used to manage multiple alternate states for different Kats
transactions).  Anyway...I'm already starting to repeat what's already
on the page.

I think this might be a good, easily achievable, intermediate and
semi-automatic mechanism that is a stepping stone on the way to
something more LOOM like.

- Stephen