Squeak on Jornada 720!

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Fri Jul 26 00:58:36 UTC 2002

Aaron <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
> > How fast does Morphic run? Is it usable?
>
> I just recieved the device and installed Squeak, at work, and haven't had
> the time to play with it much.  Speed seems (understandably) similar to
> the iPAQ.  However, in the 2.8-based Dynapad image, the most noticible
> place I noticed speed problems was with using CharRecog, which is no
> longer much of an issue with a keyboard.

In the (increasing) amount of home grown pda code I'm using on my iPaq,
I found that small optimisation techniques make a very large difference
to the speed and usability of morphic on small machines; in particular
caching copies of morphs I know I am going to use ahead of time (like
MonthMorphs) means that I have squeak pda code which feels to me to be
as fast as the inbuilt pda stuff.

This is based on a 3.2 image, so earlier images should be even faster.

I think that the problems are not so much with morphic as such, but with
the way the we are programming it - in particular treating morphs as
things to be built and rebuilt constantly rather then live objects to be
used and resused.

Regards,

Russell