[BUG] StandardFileStream restart

dsiegel at acm.org dsiegel at acm.org
Fri Jul 26 08:44:14 UTC 2002

StandardFileStream holds a full localized pathname.
As a consequence, if you restart an image containing
standardFileStreams in another location, either by moving
the image and its files, or by referencing the directory
differently, the StandardFileStream will fail to locate
its file.

I found this by saving an image with an open Celeste browser
on Linux and reopening it on Windows.  Although I didn't move
the files, on Windows I have the directory mounted via Samba,
so the file directory prefix is '/home/dsiegel/...' on Linux, and
'U:/...' on Windows.

It would also have happened, though, if I simply copied the image
and the mail database files to another directory.

It seems to me that if a StandardFileStream is opened using
a relative pathname, it should hold a relative pathname, either
instead of, or in addition to, the absolute pathname.

Before touching this stuff, though, I wanted the opinions
of folks more familiar with the file layer.

Do we expect Squeak to preserve StandardFileStreams across
image restarts?

I've also heard, off and on, rumors about rewrites of the
file and socket code in Squeak.  If any of that's actually
happening, I don't want to duplicate work.

-dms