Glorp (WAS Re: Squeak and SQlite Database)

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Sat Jul 27 02:41:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 14:36, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> Stephen Pair wrote:
>
> > You might also consider having a look at Glorp (www.glorp.org) for some
> > code for mapping objects to SQL.
> >
> > - Stephen
> >

> I ported Glorp to Squeak some time ago.  My porting "diary" can be found at:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~nevinpratt/GlorpPort.doc
>
> The Squeak changeset can be found at:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~nevinpratt/glorp.cs
>
> In about a month, I plan on revisiting Glorp for Squeak (using
> PostgreSQL for the database).  I intend on using it in a big way for my
> wife's e-commerce web site:
>
> http://www.bountifulbaby.com
>
> Right now I'm tied up on another gig (a paying gig, using VisualWorks),
> but when this gig is over I plan on giving full time attention to
> Squeak, Glorp, PostgreSQL, and my wife's web site.  So, the Glorp
> support for Squeak should get dramatically better at that time, even if
> it is only due to my efforts.
>
> Nevin

I have also ported Glorp to Squeak. I haven't released my work because
it included a port of VisualWorks EXDI (External Database Interface). I
ported the VisualWorks EXDI and then ported Josh Miller's MySQL driver
and Bruce Badger's PostgreSQL drivers.

The Cincom folks such as Jim Robertson and Alan Knight keep telling me
that they will give away the EXDI for use with other platforms -- of
course they have been saying that for two years and it hasn't happened
yet. 8-;

I've since thought that something lighter weight than EXDI would be a
better way to go. One porting issue with the EXDI code is that it has
lots of old style (instance-based) exception handling sprinkled
throughout. It would be good to move it over to ANSI (class-based)
exceptions.

At the moment, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of Magma
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2632).