[BUG?] weird behaviour of MVC in Squeak 3.2

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun Jul 28 07:20:48 UTC 2002

On windows 98 the new Squeak 3.2 exhibits a quite strange
behaviour when a debugger is opened in the MVC environment.

Please try this.
1. create and enter an mvc project.
2. open a class hierarchy browser.
3. select StringHolder>>browseVersions.
   ( a lot of other methods would do as well. )
4. Insert the statement  self halt.  at the beginning of
   the method and save the method with "accept"
5. Now, move the mouse into the method names view
   and select "versions"
6. a small red window with title "Halt" and three buttons
is opened. Press the button "Resume"
7. a blue (or violet?) VersionsBrowser is opened. It
flashes when it is opened and this detail is maybe
important.
8. select a version. I see the method text displayed
for a very short time, then the text view is empty again.

There are also other weird effects (on my computer at least)

*the system menue shows unusual behavior.
*When the mouse pointer leases the versions brwoser and
then enters it again, it crosses the window border.
When it does, the curser changes to a "drag window border"
symbol. That symbol does not vanish again when the mouse
pointer is inside the versions browser.

After a lot of nonsensical actions with the mouse
Squeak seemingly comes back to normal bahaviour.

I saw these strange things also in a 3.2 alpha (last update: 4599)
with the virtual machine
Squeak 3.2.2 VM (release candidate) from May 26 2002
Compiler: gcc 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

I think that something with the process switching or
scheduling goes wrong, but until now I have no idea what
it is.

Are there others out there that can confirm my observations?
Have you any idea what I can do to better the situation?

Greetings
Boris