A problem hindering SmallTalk's popularity:

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun Jul 28 15:30:24 UTC 2002

That may be so, but I had the same experience as Richard.  Indeed, one
needs some sophistication at programming language, and familiarity with
oodl's are also important to code Smalltalk before becoming fluent at
Squeak -- but in terms of becoming aclimated to it, this is by FAR the
easiest non-trivial system with which I have become associated for
building software of any kind.