Exchanging Source Code between VW5i.4 and Squeak3; Best Practice?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Jul 30 09:14:33 UTC 2002

Hi all!

"Mark A. Schwenk" <mas at wellthot.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> I also worked a bit on the CVST project. When I was working with it we
> used Eric Arseneau's SIF code for the interchange format.

As far as I know CVST is live and well for both VW and Squeak (and
Dolphin, and VAST and... :-=) - Martin Kobetic recently did some
releases, check:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cvstproj/

CVST is a pure Smalltalk layer that essentially mirrors Smalltalk code
out into the filesystem in order for it to be stored in CVS using the
normal external cvs executable. AFAIK it works quite good.

> I haven't used Göran Hultgren's CVS client for Squeak, so I can't
> comment on its current status.

Sqcvs is not a full CVS client - it's a class library for Squeak (but
easily portable) implementing the CVS client/server ("pserver")
protocol. It is not quite ready yet (just a few things missing, it does
checkput/update/commit though) but when it is (soon hopefully, might
squeeze in time this week) it will slide right in under CVST and
eliminate the need for an external CVS executable. Sqcvs knows nada
about storing Smalltalk code in CVS - that's what CVST does.

Sqcvs will let us integrate CVS operations in say the FileList or easily
build a general CVS client in Squeak. It can also be used if someone
would like to use CVS as a "database backend" for some application since
it doesn't need to rely on a filesystem.

regards, Göran