[IMPORTANT - well, I think so] SqueakMap first appearance!

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Jul 31 12:16:04 UTC 2002

Hi all!

In my BIG QUEST to bring ORDER to the Squeak universe I am hacking away
furiously on SqueakMap. I currently have SqueakMap up and running
"somewhat working" on my development machine:

http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm

Feel free to check it out (though remember I am hacking on it at the
same time).
Right now you can:
- Read the four help pages on SqueakMap/packages/repositories and
categories. Give me feedback!
- Play around registering and editing packages and repositories.
Remember that you are only testing - nothing will be kept around yet!
- List registered packages and repositories.

Note that:
- Categories are not yet entered when registering/editing packages.
Otherwise it is complete but I will add some more field validation like
syntax checks and filtering out naughty HTML.
- Browsing packages by category is not yet implemented, coming any
hour...
- There is no searching yet. I want to integrate Scotts search engine
but I need to look into that.
- Scamper might not work because I don't think it supports cookies or
POSTs. Am I wrong?

My plan for the next days is to fix the most important stuff like (off
the top of my head):
-Add browsing by category and selecting categories when registering
packages.
-Ensure uniqueness of package and repository names.
-Add some syntactic validation and naughty HTML filtering.
-Make sure the remote synching of a "slave map" works. This is actually
the cool part of it all - to be able to maintain a synchronized slave
map in YOUR OWN image for fast searching of packages and modules. The
web front is just a nice "last resort".
-Add email reminders of passwords. :-)
-Add some administration facilities for the categories.

After that it should be ready for more serious testing.

Reply to the list with all your feedback. It is important that we agree
on the fields of the packages and repositories.

regards, Göran