Progrmaming in Bytecode?

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Jul 31 16:28:21 UTC 2002

At Wednesday, 31 July 2002, you wrote:

>I know this may sound sadistic, but how could I go about programming in
>Smalltalk bytecode, directly?  I've seen assemblers for Java, that
do the
>same job as assemblers for native CPUs.  I imagine such a tool doesn't
>exist for SMalltalk at this time, but perhaps it wouldn't be hard
to put
>one together in my quest to play with bytecode.

One of the projects I did a while ago was writing PIC/Smalltalk,
which basically is a Slang-style translater that translates Smalltalk
source code into PIC assembler. PIC chips are tiny 8-bit RISC embedded
micro-controllers (www.microchip.com), with miniscule amounts of
memory (program memory measured in single-digit kilobytes and RAM
between 50 and 500 bytes).

If you want to work at a low level with Smalltalk, doing stuff like
that is fun and useful as well. And of course it works in Squeak,
although its been a while since I did anything with it.

http://www.huv.com/smalltalk for more details...

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com