Progrmaming in Bytecode?

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Wed Jul 31 16:27:27 UTC 2002

Jon Hylands wrote:

> One of the projects I did a while ago was writing PIC/Smalltalk,
> which basically is a Slang-style translater that translates Smalltalk
> source code into PIC assembler. PIC chips are tiny 8-bit RISC embedded
> micro-controllers (www.microchip.com), with miniscule amounts of
> memory (program memory measured in single-digit kilobytes and RAM
> between 50 and 500 bytes).

Thank you, thank you for that pointer, after looking at the PIC IDE I
felt a little overwhelmed, but this gets my motivation way up :-)

Are you aware of the work Maurice Rabb did on developing a tiny
smalltalk for micro controllers? He did a presentation at the Smalltalk
Solutions, but I lost track of whether he is still working on it.

Michael

--

  "All of life's big problems include the words 'indictment' or
  'inoperable'. Everything else is small stuff." -- Alton Brown