Progrmaming in Bytecode?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 31 17:32:53 UTC 2002

Aaron <reic0024 at D.UMN.EDU> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> >   Open a browser in Squeak and select a method in a class.
> >   Right click on the methods name in the method pane and
> >   select "What to show..." and "byteCodes".
>
> Yup, I've seen that. However, you cannot change the bytecodes and save the
> changes.
Sounds like your cue; along with Dan's suggestions I think making the
bytecodes view editable should be a worthwhile avenue of exploration.

I wish I could assume you had an Acorn machine handy. The very popular
text editor (the one I'm using to type this mail) is able to display a
binary file in word/byte or assembler modes. You can edit the assembler
instructions in mnemonic (is there any easy way to remember how to spell
that?) form and it will do the appropriate translation to put the right
bytes in place. I suspect the general principle should be useful in
squeak.

tim

Use free-form input where possible.