For Unix VM wizards only

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Sun Jun 2 06:03:21 UTC 2002

Folks,

For anyone brave enough to venture forth into little-known territory, I've
just `rsync'ed a bunch of stuff to:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/3.2devel/

My sole intention is to get feedback from VM wizards (and not to make any
kind of "prerelease" of 3.2): please don't use it unless you're prepared
to help debug it.

There are a few notes in the `INSTALL' file, to which I will add:

10. everything (read: interp.c and plugins) was generated out of a
    3.2gamma-4857 image

11. it's VMMaker all the way down (turtles notwithstanding ;)

12. this stuff is not in any way intended for "casual" use: much of
    it (the build process, that is) is less than one day old, so expect
    things to break in unpleasant places.

13. tons of stuff (in particular various bits of X11 and all of OSS
    sound support -- not to mention the vast tracts of configuration
    stuff that have been deleted and replaced with things infinitely
    simpler) are brand new and relatively untested (they work for me,
    but that doesn't necessarily count for very much).  (The support
    is based on my 3.1current, so the ChangeLog for that reflects pretty
    closely the state of the code.)

14. there's a .tgz in the dist/ directory.

Have fun!  (I almost said "Enjoy!", but the experience is not likely to be
entirely enjoyable just yet. ;)

Ian

PS: AFAIK, VMMakering a 3.3 src tree over the top of it shouldn't break
    anything that isn't already broken.