Accessing Morphs as objects

Geza Lakner MD geza67 at freestart.hu
Tue Jun 4 19:03:31 UTC 2002

Dear Squeakers!

May be it sound trivial - and my apologies if the problem is RTFM ;-)
- but how can I access morphs programmatically?

If I make a "new morph..." by the menu, let's say a Playfield, embed
a Textmorph in it via the menu, where can I find these two objects in
the System Browser hierarchy? Even if these on-screen objects are merely
prototypes and no instances, how can I derive a _usable_ new class from them? I
know about the "make subclass" menu, but making a subclass from the
playfield, does NOT include the embedded other morphs, even the
visually altered attributes (color, border etc.) are NOT incorporated
in the freshly made subclass, does it seems quite unuseful for me.

Where can I find sound documentation on the programmatic connection of
visually created/edited morphs and those place in the system object hierarchy?

My other problem is that what is the use of the tiles dragged out of
the morph viewer window? I can not drop them onto a textual script
window (they stay afloat) - I expected that if I drop a message onto a
window something happens: dropiing on a morph, executes it; dropping
on a script, converts into textual commands and appends them to the
existing script.

There is much to grasp in this Morphic architecture, and a
Squeak-newbie feels lost without clear cut documentation of these
novel features.

Best wishes:
Geza