Mixed feelings

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Tue Jun 4 22:42:52 UTC 2002

I have been working with Squeak for some time, learned Smalltalk little
bit and it left some mixed feelings in my mind. While this language
proves to be great for problem decomposition and functional abstraction
I feel disappointed with objects/classes desing.

For example, Object understands so many methods that I doubt it still
stands for basic building stone. I though it ought to be alpha-omega for
most objects found in the system. Not to mention messages such as #beep,
just take for instance message #inspect. Should every object understand
how to 'inspect itself'? In network environment, what is the sense for
'myString' inspect on some silent server? Also, what is "indexable
receiver" mentioned in Object>>at: message? Is it still Object or kind
of Slot or Clone?

Or - LargeNegativeInteger is subclass of  LargePositiveInteger - well......

Or - message Date>>printOn:format: - was that school assignment?

I like the syntax for passing arguments to message but then to have
message like #perform:with:with:with:? Would it be possible to extend
language so it could be written as something like #perform:*with:?

Maybe I am expecting something else from "the thing" that is purposed as
a toy for education. Maybe I'm balancing between chaos and order. Maybe
I just don't get the rhythm in this music :)

--
Kamil