commenting code

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Jun 5 00:04:20 UTC 2002

>On Monday 03 June 2002 08:30 pm, Rob Whitfield wrote:
>>  Every time I "accept" a block of code it gets reformatted
>>  automatically and all my comments disappear.  I'm still new at this
>>  so I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm missing.  Could someone
>>  please explain?

Ned Knotz replied:

>Hmm... sounds like you don't have a sources file or it can't be
>written, or something. ...

I believe that the problem is that the .changes file can't be
written, rather than the sources file.  The sources file is treated
as read-only.

One reason for this is if you re-name your image file, so that

	somelongname.image

does not exceed your file system file name limit, whereas

	somelongname.changes

being one character longer, does exceed it.  In this case Squeak
won't be able to find the changes file.

Another possibility is that you don't have write permission to the
changes file.

	Andrew