Whole other debate on keyboard mappings

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jun 5 19:04:48 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 11:53 am, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> Just to be absolutely sure about things, this is what I think the
> keyboard/pointer mappings should be (if anybody disagrees with the
> way the following mappings are set up, then that can be a whole
> other debate):
>
> Alt and Meta both map to Command.

OK... whole nother debate:

The usual Mac command for (say) copy is Cmd-C
The usual Windows (and many Linux) command for copy is Ctrl-C
However, mapping the Alt to Cmd causes us to need Alt-C instead. So
Squeak becomes the only app (out of many) that uses Alt-C rather than
Ctrl-C to copy.

I would suggest the following mapping between Mac and PC modifier
keys, for consistency with the rest of the apps in the given
environments:

Mac        PC
Cmd      Ctrl
Option   Alt