Keyboard - mouse interface fail on linux install

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 5 20:42:02 UTC 2002

Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:

> (Details: the code in the above VM is "immune" to junk in the "state"
> member in X key/button events [which for some reason was completely absurd
> in Mandrake] and will instead track the modifier state using the keysyms
> reported in press/release events.)

Hmm.  What happens in the "fixed" VM if you switch apps while a modifier
key is down?  e.g., what happens if you alt-tab away from Squeak and
then click to return?  Squeak might see the alt press, but it might lose
focus before the alt key is released.  When you click back, the VM would
still think the alt key is pressed.

More fundamentally, do all X servers even have key press event for
modifiers?  Do all X servers even have key release events at all?  Also,
what about things like caps lock -- shouldn't we handle those, as well?

The "state" variable is there for a reason.  How far should we go if we
can't rely on it?  Maybe these guys should fix their install if it is
that messed up.

-Lex