Whole other debate on keyboard mappings

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 5 21:01:23 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:

> Mac        PC
> ----------------
> Cmd      Ctrl
> Option   Alt

Option is dead.  So the table should look more like:

Mac     PC
----------------
Shift   Shift
Cmd     Ctrl
Ctrl    ???

Note that there is a problem on the last line.  Any choice you make will
mean that the "control" key, for Squeak on Win32, is not the one
labelled "Ctrl".  To fix this, we could possibly rename "control"
entirely, eg "shifting-command" or "super-command".  :)  Then we could
do:

Squeak   Mac    PC
shift    shift  shift
cmd      cmd    ctrl
scmd     ctrl   alt

Of course, in the process here we end up with a similar condition to
mouse buttons: just as people can't talk about left/right/middle or even
primary/secondary/tertiary buttons, they can't talk about the control
key.  Maybe it's worth it, though, if ctrl-c does what a Windows user
expects.

-Lex