[Q] Socket - what is the "backlog" setting for?

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 15:56:15 UTC 2002

Thanks for the great link John!

I'm running the D3D VM on Windows.  So far, the symptom I described happens on
the *second* connection made to the server.  The first one seems to work just
fine.  Just to reiterate, on the server, right after accepting a new connection
and then taking a long time (i.e., half a second) to check dataAvailable to see
if we should waitForDataUntil:, its true because the client has already sent
and is waiting.  But on the second connection, dataAvailable is false so it
goes on to wait on the readSemaphore.  Of course, I am using the brand-new
Socket instance that was given to me on the accept so I would think it would be
initialized the same each time.

I'm at work right now, so I may not be saying this 100% correctly.  At any
rate, as you said, it appears the socket is not in the state I expect it to be
in.

I have been running in the same image for months now, so I'm going to try
doesn't clear it up, I'll put together a simple workspace scripts to
demonstrate the issue.

Thanks!