Whole other debate on keyboard mappings

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 6 15:24:57 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> is claimed by the authorities to have written:
>
> > By the way, I note that on my UNIX box,
> > copy/cut/paste are Alt-c, Alt-x, Alt-v.
> > It would be *extremely* confusing if they became Ctrl-c, Ctrl-x, Ctrl-v
> > in Squeak.
> Surely this is all something that should be tackled im the image with a
> sensibly configurable keymap

A couple of people are suggesting this, but let me disagree here.
First, images should remain portable -- let's not end image portability
just to have different key mappings.  I'd hate to download a windows
image from someone and have it use control instead of alt.  Second, this
is trivial to do in the VM: the VM's already have a mapping from keys to
Squeak modifiers, and we can easily set those mappings to anything we
like.

Lex Spoon