Reality Check

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Jun 7 13:46:50 UTC 2002

I agree on the modules stuff, but I think that digresses a bit from the
topic of SqF.

Regarding the billion bucks, I think I'd have to at least consider it if
it were offered.  Whether I accepted it would depend on what strings
were attached.  I don't think it's hurt the Linux world in any
significant way.

Regarding Debian, I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if they
eventually found a way of generating financial support to continue what
they're doing.  Last I looked at Debian, it was very far behind the
other distributions without venturing into "test" land and there was a
lot of tumult on the mailing lists.  Now, the last thing I want to do is
to start a flame war about Linux distros, so, let me end by saying that
I have no experience with actually using Debian, and they could very
well end up sustaining themselves without any full time commitment by
anyone.

I also consider any time that someone spends working on an open source
effort to be the equivalent of financial support.  After all, they are
giving up their time, which could otherwise be used, to contribute to
the effort.

I once heard Peter Deutsch say that he had a hard time finding any open
source software that wasn't (at least partially) funded by commercial
enterprise (whether willing or unwilling (by virtue of employees doing
open source on company time)).  Indeed, look at Squeak, who's lifeblood
(in terms of giving people time to work on Squeak) thus far has been
Xerox, Apple, and Disney.

In the end, the key is sustaining an active and vibrant community, and
I'd argue that with all of the competition for people's time from other
open source efforts that that is in jeopardy.  For example, if you were
to become a guru in the development of Apache or the Linux kernel, there
is a very good chance that you could build a career around that (as a
side benefit).  Right now in Squeak land, with the corporate sponsored
research having gone away (at least momentarily), the only source for
commercial funding of Squeak that I can see is through academic
institutions that are interested in Squeak for it's learning and
research virtues.

- Stephen